Friday, February 13, 2015

Chocolate Milk and Homemade Bread

Everyday after school, I would get off the bus and walk to my grandparent's house. They lived across the street from my childhood home which five year old me enjoyed very much. Everyday as a I opened the screen door, I was embraced by the smells of golden brown bread. Everyday my grandpa and I would sit at the kitchen table and drink a big glass of chocolate milk and eat a few slices of grandma's bread. She made it fresh everyday just so he and I could sit around the table and talk about the random things that children often do.
After that glass of chocolate milk, we would always go out to the garden and pick tomatoes and jalapenos. We would sit in the yard and eat our daily rewards. Sooner or later, grandma would come running outside to yell at us for leaving our dishes on the table. We'd drag our feet to go clean up our mess. Pretty soon grandma would wrap me up in one of her too big aprons and we'd start the task of mixing all the ingredients for the next days bread.
There are few things in life I remember as vividly as drinking chocolate milk and eating bread with my grandparents. It was my favorite time of the day. I remember stepping off the bus and racing to their house. 
The best part about it is Dale and Sarah weren't even my actual grandparents, both of my Mom and Dad's parents died shortly after I was born, so the people who lived across the street just kind of adopted me as their own. They taught me so much in the short time I got to spend with them. I try to live my life by the same rules they did. Invite people into your heart and share with them the things that make you happy, even if it's as simple as chocolate milk and homemade bread.

No comments:

Post a Comment