Friday, May 1, 2015

Course Evaluation

  • Which in class writing was your favorite? Why?
    • The very first one, I think it was the credo. It took me back to my childhood and really reminded me about my grandpa and just all the reasons that family is so important. Chocolate Milk and Homemade Bread was the first writing and I still like reading through it. It just puts a big smile on my face each time I go through it. I think it really fits my personality.
  • Which in class writing was your least favorite? Why?
    • The dictionary assignment was definitely my least favorite. I know how to use my own words and definitions but when trying to write with words that are unfamiliar I got stumped. It was difficult writing with other people's words and definitions. The Dictionary Assignment was a tough assignment that really made my brain hurt. Trying to fit such random words and definitions in one cohesive story was very hard.
  • Review all your writing chronologically (earliest to latest). List three interesting observations or changes in your writing. Which are the most profound (obvious and important)? Why?
    • My writing got a lot more personal and as it got more personal, in my opinion, it got a little better. The words started to flow a little more when I was talking about something close to me rather than just a random free write topic. The free writing was kind of difficult for me unless I could really relate it to something close to me. I think the most profound thing with my writing would be that it changed for the better after writing almost every day for the entire semester.
  • If you could change anything about your writing this semester what would it be? Why?
    • I think I would have liked more writing. I would've liked to write more actual essays and a lot more cohesive writings rather than a lot of small free writings. 
  • What did you like best about this course?
    • The course offered a lot of freedom and I liked that. I enjoyed a lot of the free writing assignments and I really enjoyed the point of view assignments like the Pigeon: Impossible assignment. 
  • What did you like least about this course?
    • I was not a big fan of free writing, I learned to like it and apply those skills to my actual writing but I found it very difficult at times to just jump on a topic and write about it on the fly. I do think that it did help with just basic writing and typing though!
  • What would you have done differently this semester if you could have a do-over?
    • That's a tough one. I think I would probably do my blog throughout the semester rather than doing a big chunk of blog posts at the end.
  • What did you learn about yourself as a student, a thinker, a writer this semester?
    • I learned to apply myself a lot better and to study more efficiently. As a writer, I learned that free writing is a great way to clear your head to start doing more cohesive writing.
  • What could I, Ms. A., have done differently to improve the course?
    • More writing, less free writing. I would've preferred more actual essays as opposed to a lot of small free write assignments. Other than that, I really liked this class and you as a professor. I liked that even the random assignments found a way to have some kind of lesson in them. I expected the Gilbert's Gobstoppers to be really silly but it was a fun way to learn about the order of an essay and how it can be interpreted so differently based on the context.
  • You begin this course with an engagement and participation score of an A.  Attendance, participation in activities and group work help you to maintain this grade.  Evaluate yourself and assign yourself a grade for the in class portion of this course.  Don’t forget the reasoning behind your self assigned grade.
    • I think I would give myself an A. I did all of the assignments and had them ready to go when it came time to use them. I put effort into most of my writing even when it would've been easy to just throw some words onto the computer and call it good. I worked my way through the assignments and made sure they were completed to where I thought they should be.

1 comment:

  1. Very nice reflection! One of the best things I like about teaching is that opportunity to revise each semester, so I thank you for the feedback. It will come in handy. Have a great summer. ~Ms. A.

    ReplyDelete