Wednesday, April 29, 2015

Defining Word

Laid-Back


My adopted Grandma and Grandpa taught me so much. They taught me to take everything with a grain of salt and not worry about the little things. Every day as we would share our chocolate milk, Grandpa would tell me stories about his past. Grandpa died when he was two days shy of his hundredth birthday so he had plenty of stories. He would tell me about working on electric lines and running into Bonnie and Clyde. He had so many stories and had experienced so much and when he shared it, he showed me that no matter how bad something was, if you didn’t worry too much you could get through it. Grandma would do the same, she was a few years younger than Grandpa but still had plenty of stories to share. They had been married for around 80 years and died within 3 days of each other. Grandma would often tell me stories about their marriage and her different experiences being a wife and mother. It taught me a lot about the kind of woman I wanted to be. She would share stories about them building their house from the ground up and raising their son. They taught me to embrace everything with a smile. Soon I learned that if I embraced everything with a positive attitude, that’s what I would get in return. It’s not always very easy to remember those life lessons when faced with adversity; but I can always think about them and remember that it is so much easier to be cheerful and relaxed than to get too worked up over anything life throws at you. 

No comments:

Post a Comment