Wednesday, April 29, 2015

The Heart and the Fist-Preliminary Discussion

The thing that stood out the most to me in the first half of the book was the scene where he is training with Earl and Derrick. I thought it was a really well thought out portion of text where he has to persevere through not really knowing much about boxing. It pushes him to work harder and he feels really accomplished when he is able to get on the Oxford boxing team. I though the way his coach related everything back to a life lesson was really interesting and really smart. If you are already going to be learning how to go through these boxing motions you should at least learn something important right along with it. I think the purpose of the book is to help people decide who they want to be. There are a lot of life lessons wrapped up in the humanitarian and military work. I think that Greitens has led a very amazing life and sharing all the lessons he's learned in a book that details all of his humanitarian work is great. It seems like every chapter and every adventure moves him forward more and more and it seems to have a pretty good lesson attached to it. I think it's also trying to teach a major lesson about compassion. I think it is very important to show compassion to everyone because you can never know what that person is going through or what they've had to deal with. I think that if everyone just assumed that the other person needed an uplifting word or a nice laugh, people would just overall be better. I think the audience is high school or college students. It holds a lot of life lessons and would be a great book for the high school senior unsure of what they want to do. It also makes a good book for me as a college student because the lesson is to be strong and caring. Sometimes college students work so hard at staying strong through tough assignments that they forget how important it is to be caring towards their fellow person.

No comments:

Post a Comment